Monday, June 8, 2009

Kaya Pa Mountaineers Conquer Mt. Daguldul

It was in 1993 when I did my last climb together with my friends. It was in Mt. Maculot, in the province of Batangas. Before that, I was able to climb Mt. Banahaw, Mt. Sembrano and Famy in Laguna. I was still single then and life was a lot simpler. The married life had put all my climbing ambitions on hold.

Recently, I got interested again in climbing mountains. My age may not be that ripe anymore for mountaineering, but who says there’s an age limit to it anyway?

My best buddies Janet, Maribel, and Joi are so into it too. So do their husbands. So off we went to Batangas on May 30, 2009 to climb the 672 MASL mountain named Mt. Daguldul. We left Manila before sunrise to be able to steer clear from the traffic congestion. I was excited because my husband and my two grown-up kids were with me, and so were my best pals and their families.

We trekked the mountain for almost six hours (including the three stops in-between to rest). I actually predicted a slow pace because there were four children in the group, but I was amazed it was us adults who couldn’t catch up to their stamina and speed! We were always lagging behind the adolescents.

Halfway through the trail, the rain poured on us but it was alright. The rain was actually a relief to the scorching heat. It was fun trekking in the rain, despite the mud and the mixed smell of sweat and water.

You’d be surprised to know, that somewhere in the path, there is actually a store selling “halo-halo” to refresh our thirsty bodies. There were also cola drinks and fresh buko that one can relish. The store also has a clean restroom as an added amenity to the climbers. Mountaineering has now gone mainstream!

We reached the campsite after almost six hours of gruelling climb. Under normal conditions, it only takes 2.5 to 3 hours for a professional clilmber to reach the summit. The mud just made it extra harder for our group since it had been raining for the last few days. Nevertheless, the trail provided a magnificent view of the thick forest, and the smell of nature that is so refreshing. We immediately pitched our tents to shelter us from the brewing rains.


When the tents were done, it was time to cook dinner. The guys in the group (Kuya Louie Cesar, Boyet Nueve, Eric Agulay, and Dennis Saylon my husband) tooks turns cooking and fetching water from the water source nearby. Meanwhile, we the girls (Lucilyn, Janet, Maribel and Joi) were busy taking pictures of ourselves and taking advantage of the spectacular view that the summit offered.

As expected, it rained that night. Being an amateur climber that I was, I failed to bring some items needed to keep us dry and warm. Our tent didn’t stand the heavy rains so the water just dripped and made us all wet. Anyway, after the heavy rains, this is the view that mesmerized us:

a bed of clouds after a heavy downpour!

It was time to go down at 9am the following day. We couldn’t get enough of the serene view that engulfed us that morning. The group took a souvenir shot before leaving the summit. Good thing there were other campers whom we asked to take a photo of us. Altogether, it was a great experience climbing again after so many years. What made it more memorable was that it was the first climb of my two boys David and Diego. Even my husband Dennis (who also climbed with me in 1993 at mt maculot) had so much fun bonding with us. Now they are clamoring for more! And higher ASL at that !

As of this writing, my body is still dead tired from the climb and recuperating from a terrible cough that I have acquired post-climb. Even with Muscles and tendons aching, my spirits are still high because I and my best friends had a blast at the top of the mountain. We have shared a different kind of experience that made our friendship even more special.

the KAYA PA MOUNTAINEERS have conqured Mt. Daguldul. Now we can’t wait to scale the others out there.

L-R: Boyet, Maribel, Franz, Eric, Joy, Jericho, Kuya Louie (Team leader), Janet, Diego, Lucilyn, Dennis and David.

May 30-31, 2009


4 comments:

  1. Members:
    Louie Cesar
    Ruel Nueve
    Eric Agulay
    Dennis Saylon
    Bernardino Banac Jr
    Janet Labrador
    Judith Labrador
    Maribel Nueve
    Franz Nueve
    Joi Francisco
    Jericho Francisco
    Lucilyn Saylon
    David Saylon
    Diego Saylon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi guys, we chanced upon your blog and we're wondering if we can join you in your climb. we're also planning to trek mt. pundaquit this friday and we're first-timers. if it's okay with you guys, you can reach us thru email.

    krashoberayd@yahoo.com

    and if even possible, include where we can call you to arrange meetups.
    Thanks and hope to hear from you. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi krashoberayd, so sorry we didn't get the chance to see your post before our climb to Mt. Pundaquit. Kaya Pa mountaineers were in Mt pundaquit last June 12-13, traversing anawangin cove. WEre you guys there too? check out our pics, we had a blast there. anyways, we will email you for more details of our next climb, should you want to join us. thanks for the interest in our blog.

    ReplyDelete